Saturday, June 1, 2013

What's up 'round the track?

Presenting:
Cape Cod Salty Dolls
in
Friday Night Open Skate

Now that I've got your attention...
I'll start off by letting you in on a little bit of exciting news.  If you're following along and know our story so far, then you know we are sort of doing the best we can with what info we can find...YouTube, derby forums, random derby players we find (and stalk) on Facebook, blogs, and whatever publications we can scrounge up.
It's all great information, but we've gotten to that point where we can't just read about what we need to do.  We've moved, or desperately want to move, beyond the point where 'getting the gist of it' from a few videos is enough.
I'm not saying that, with each skate session, every single one of us doesn't improve. We have, as a group, come leaps and bounds from that day the majority of us were stopping by hurling ourselves into the wall!
My own personal victory was last week, when I finally got over my fear of leaving the ground.  By the end of the evening, I was hopping at least 4 inches (a jump over a 6" obstacle is a required skill)...ready to improve!

So what's the 'exciting news'?  Well, we have a summer resident from Washington who just happens to play roller derby in her home town.  And, she was nice enough to help out with some drills at our open skate last night!!  She has agreed to come to our regular practices to whip us into shape...as much as she can while she's here, and we have a rink to practice in (man, I'm gonna be sad when they freeze that rink again!!).

On a personal note: I have been holding back, I think.  I am letting my nerves get the better of me and I'm not pushing through to the point where I am comfortable letting go.  And I MUST get to that point!  Roller derby is a sport where EVERY SINGLE PLAYER will fall.  There's just no way around it.  And, as a player, in any position, I must be comfortable, not just skating, but also jumping and running on skates.  In order to do that, I will have to go through that learning process that inevitably will include numerous falls.  
It's going to happen.

I hope you enjoy the video, edited by Lulu Larceny's bro (and our team EMT) and shot him and numerous skaters, as they passed around the helmet-cam!

And, don't forget about our June Fundraiser!!  
Go HERE for info on what's coming in for you to bid on in our silent auctions or to reserve a table for your crafts or how to make a donation.  Hope to see you there!



No comments:

Post a Comment